New or changing roles?
There are two main ways in which HCSW roles have been developed in NHSScotland
1. Developing new roles and the underpinning education
2. Developing existing roles
Whether the role is entirely new (for example, Assistant Practitioner) or is an adapted existing role, there are key structures which need to be in place to support the role;
- A job description which is agreed in partnership
- A supporting NHS KSF outline when the employer is NHSScotland
- A recognised education pathway which will ensure HCSWs will have the necessary knowledge and skills to undertake the role safely
- A plan to communicate effectively with all relevant stakeholders
Our case studies demonstrate how existing healthcare support worker roles were enhanced through a variety of educational approaches.